Sunday, January 3, 2010

My experiment.

The experiment- Replace my mundane workout routine of two days on, one day off of weights and running three to four times a week with purely crossfit and running twice a week.

The workouts of the day (WODs) for both will come from the crossfit.com and crossfitendurance.com websites.

What is crossfit? It's a new...but old...approach to training. All out, purely honest-to-yourself intensity, that can have some amazing effects. I've tinkered with the training site for about a year now, but haven't really committed to it. This year, I'm doing. I'm going to use this blog to let everyone in cyberspace know what personal gains, losses, trials, frustrations, elations, etc. that I gain from the program.

I started on Dec 31 and I'm following the main site a week behind. I'll start logging my progress this week and will keep everyone posted on my progress. I don't have a baseline that I can really use as a measurement device, aside from my honest posts. I've maxed my Army Physical Fitness test for the last 13 years with relative ease. (two mile run under 13:00, and I have always done greater than 82 pushups and 82 situps in the two minute time limit allowed)

I'm a little nervous about this experiment. The exercises are complex, the intensity is high, I'm in my thirties, have a bad knee, bad shoulder, and bad foot....the excuses go on. I will, however, temper judgment on some of these exercises.

Why crossfit?- why not? The Marines swear by it, MMA fighters use it, and everybody on the website looks like a friggin' spartan. Isn't that what we all want? Functional strength, aesthetically pleasing forms, and fast.... what more could you ask for. All these things in a routine that swears you'll be done in less than an hour in the gym. Which, from personal experience has been true so far.

Today is a rest day. Which is a dang good thing. I'm sore from the 1-10-1-20-1-30 front squat; deadlift; and bench press over the last few days. I can't remember the last time that I did a 1 rep max.

Next update- common abbreviations to help alleviate confusion.

FYI- Today, I'm 5'9", 191 lbs, 18.3% bodyfat and sore when I wake up.

3-2-1...ouch, oh, ahh, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment