Thursday, January 21, 2010

1/21/10; Deadlift...Strong like Ox, smart like hammar

Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3

I really don’t think that there is anything more primal than picking up a heavy piece of iron off the floor. That’s all today’s workout was. It’s nice to do these every once in a while, because it’s a good way to measure your strength gains. I’m coming back from hernia surgery in the last few months, so I’m a little hesitant with these and really focus on my form…as you always should when hefting around heavy weights that can crush you. Here’s my results:

295 x 3
305 x 3
315 x 3
325 x 3
325 x 2 (failed on the last pull)

I warmed up with light weights- 2 sets of 95# at 8 reps; 1 set of 135# at 8 reps; 1 set of 225# at 8 reps. I just stretched really good to end the workout. I averaged about 3-4 minutes of rest between sets. I’m a little bit old school in that I don’t use a belt (as the purpose of doing these lifts is to strengthen your core muscles) and I don’t use lifting straps. I challenge you to find any strong person that doesn’t have a ridiculously strong grip to match. So, I’d encourage you to do the same.

The workout lasted about 40 minutes. Easy set up if you've got access to the amount of weight you'll be lifting...any globogym has all this stuff. In the afternoon I did some ring work. I did about 30 ring dips, focusing on form and then did an additional 50 ring push ups. The rings are an awesome piece of equipment. If you've never done ring push ups or dips, I suggest you do it. You'll look like a complete monkey the first time out, but every set you get better and better. Well worth the $65 investment.

3-2-1…GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment