Tuesday, January 5, 2010

1/5/10; CF endurance

Okay, so as I mentioned in the initial post, I'm doing CFE (Crossfit Endurance) twice a week. This is the first WOD from the CFE site.

1 mile all out. Rest 3 minutes. Do 3x 400m (1/4 mile) repeats at 1 mile pace w/30 sec recovery between each set. 2 seconds over on each split is a foul. Fouls are punishable by a 2 minute wall sit between sets.

WU- 3:00 walk to run progression and some stretching.
All work was done on a Nautilus treadmill (no tracks near work) set at 1.5% incline.

6:37 mile (equals a 1:39 split)
1- 1:39
2- 1:32
3- 1:29

Intense. But it seemed really fast and relatively easy. Folks that have known me for a while know that I can run a mile split much faster than this. I suspect this has a lot to do with the fact that I'm about 10 lbs. above my usual weight. I don’t know if I underestimated the mile, but I did feel smoked after running the mile…I guess I’ll push much harder next time.

Total workout time was less than 20 minutes from start to finish, including the warm up. Not bad. I can stick to this... I hope.

2 comments:

  1. I like this approach.

    I've never been a long-distance runner. I'm not lazy, I just get bored -- lame excuse, but it's the truth.

    My reality is that when I run, to keep from getting bored, I have to imagine I'm a gladiator in training and I'll need this stamina in the ring. Or I'm running from an enemy who's got lots of pointy things.

    Or I just robbed a bank and I'm making my getaway. Or I'm... you get the picture.

    Point is, running is boring, and I don't make it more than 2 miles most days, and I don't like spending much time on the track, and I HATE the treadmill.

    So this approach -- 1mi, 3x 1/4, at speed -- might be a good alternative for me.

    Thanks Mikey!

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, bro. This was a great workout. They (CFE) do these workouts a minimum of twice a week to get some benefit. Check out their website: www.crossfitendurance.com.

    Great stuff there!

    ReplyDelete