Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1/20/10; CFE- Tabata...WHAT!?

The tabata-
20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Eight rounds.
For runners, this is done on a treadmill with 12% incline at best 5k pace.

The tabata is only four minutes long. It appears relatively benign. Well, benign is not the word I would use to describe this workout. Suck, crappy, tough, crazy…words like that come to mind right away. Below is a round by round account of how I felt. I set the pace for 8.6 mph.

Round 1- this ain’t so bad
Round 2- this is getting tough
Round 3- wow, I can’t wait for my break
Round 4- SWEET BABY JESUS!
Round 5- Please, please, please don’t let me fall on my face
Round 6- The lactic acid burn is so bad, I feel it in my arms
Round 7- Dear eight pound, three ounce baby Jesus, please let me make this. (reduced speed to 8.1)
Round 8- Oh thank you, thank you, thank you...vomit. (reduced speed to 8.1)

So, as you can see, I fouled out on two rounds. There was no punishment for fouling out, as I suspect that the exercise is probably punishment enough. Great workout, totally fast, and do-able anywhere you have access to a treadmill. I will mention that the lactic acid really does pool up after rounds 4 and 5. It becomes very psychological after that.

3-2-1…GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment