Monday, February 8, 2010

2/8/10; Thrust, row and some other stuff...

For time:
150 Wall ball shots (20#)
Row 2k

Total time- 11:37

The warm up- I jogged about a 1/2 mile before I did anything today. I was really just trying to kill some time while my wife got ready for her workout. After jogging, I did 10 reps each of Oly bar thrusters, air squats, lunges, and push ups. I was nice and warmed up by the end of this circuit.

Note- I'm back in TX now, and I'm at the globogym where I usually workout. No 20# medballs were available, so I had to make an "on the fly sub." Without the ability to consult the Crossfit FAQ link, (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#top) I had to determine in my head what would suck just as bad as 150 20# wall ball shots. I decided that a 65# thruster for half as many reps (75) would do it. I would later learn that a worthy sub is Oly bar thrusters for equal reps.

The WOD- Thrusters weren't so bad. I didn't have the mettle to go it the whole way without a break, though. My split looked like this- 31/19/ 12/5/3/3/2. I had to hustle across the gym to the rowers, where I promptly sat on a rower that didn't work. Arghhh. Unbuckled from the footstraps, switched to the operable rower and started to get after it. The lactic acid burn in my shoulders was so bad at this point, I thought my ears were going to melt off. I struggled to finish the 2k just under 8 minutes. Literally, I think the timer flipped to 7:59 as I hit the mark. So, I think my time could have been much better if I had the opportunity to place the Oly bar closer to the rower and had identified the faulty rower ahead of time. Oh, well.

After I got done, I crawled over to the gym and sprawled out on the basketball court out of sight. I must have laid there for about 10 minutes. After I got done, I recalled a drill I saw on today's CF WOD site. It's the "snatch from the knees." AWESOME DRILL. I started out with a bar that could have doubled as a broom stick. Easily cranking out 10 reps. The coordination is the biggest piece of this drill. Which is why, of course, they have you do it. After that, I went up to 20, 30, 40, 50, and finally 60# for 5 reps at each set. These were only drills, and I wasn't trying to impress anyone with the weights I was handling. Of course, I did get the bizarre looks, as you often do when you're doing CF at a globogym. Oh well, it works and I'm sticking to it.

Today's WOD solidified my resolve to build a home CF gym. I'm going to start posting prices of equipment and develop my savings plan and essential equipment list.

3-2-1...GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment