Saturday, May 22, 2010

SQUATTING

I've been encouraged by other Crossfitters I talk to on the message boards to do more squatting. Air squats, back squats, front squats, squat cleans, snatch squats (no snickering), etc. I'm going to try and hit something a little different every other day. Something easy and simple- 3x8 or 5x5 with 30s rests. No significant poundages...just form work. Probably nothing heavier than 135#.

I ask my daughter to squat and she does it perfectly. Feet shoulder width apart, toes pointed outward at about 30 degrees, knees tracking over the feet, sitting to the rear and an erect lumbar spine, best of all...she opens the hips all the way at the top (no muted hip). Why is this remarkable? Because my daughter turns 3 in a few weeks and I've never taught her to squat. What does that say? Well, to me...as a techno biology cell phys geek, it means that she's doing something "naturally." Nothing has coached her to move that way. It's just the way her physiology tells her to do the squat. Pretty crazy.

Anyhow, I'm done babbling. I just got the 20# MIR short vest in. It was an early Father's day present...I LOVE IT! The added bonus- It came with a free plate vest. So...I've got one for the house and one for the unit! I'm going to rock Cindy with the vest on, the first chance I get.

3-2-1...GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment