Tuesday, March 9, 2010

3/9/10; OH squats and muscleup practice...

OH Squats 10-10-10-10-10
then
100 Sit ups for time

Oly bar-Oly bar-55-65-85
subbed half sit ups- 2:26

Warm up- The wife, daughter and I jumped rope together. The lil' one had a little difficult time, as most not quite three year olds do, and subbed holding the jump rope handles in each hand and jumping in place for DUs. We did three or four sets of max DUs. I immediately put on shoes after missing a DU barefooted on the first set. It's very unforgiving. Yowza! After that it was 10s of lunges, squats and push ups.

The WOD- pretty mundane, really. Just a simple familiarization with the movement and adding weight safely while trying to maintain the best form. I think that the next time, I'm just going to follow Mark Rippetoes advice and avoid going over 6 reps on strength days. Form just completely goes to crap when going up that high on the lifts for max loads. Which, of course, is incredibly dangerous...especially with the OH squat. I had to sub the sit ups because I have a GIANT strawberry on my butt from doing the sit ups yesterday. You never really notice those things until the hot water in the shower hits the affected area.

I did some muscleup practice tonight. Very slow and methodical. Just some drills I saw Jason Khalipa doing on CF journal. I started with a supine row and did five explosive jumps up to the rings in the pits position. After that I progressed with one at a time by going from a semi seated position with legs out in front, explode to the rings in pits, then finish with the ring dip. I was successful on five attempts. I stopped while I was ahead...why not? Later this week, I'll continue to progress and throw in an actual muscleup attempt. I think I've got this, but we'll see.

3-2-1...GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment