Wednesday, March 3, 2010

3/3/10; Mike's filthy fifty and dirty thirty

Mike’s filthy fifty, for time:
Run 400m
50 Box Jumps (24”)
50 KB swings (1 pood)
400m
50 Lunges
50 Pull ups
400m
50 Oly bar push press
50 superman
400m
KB clean and press (25 each arm)
50 knees to elbow
400m
50 push ups
50 double unders

Total time: 32:06

The warm up- Usual warm up protocol- 400m, 10 reps each of push ups, pull ups, squats, and lunges. Afterward, I went through points of performance for each of the exercises, trying to apply and teach as much of the knowledge I could glean from the demos on the CF main site.

The WOD- Total suck. I really underestimated the difficulty of this WOD. In fact, I had to scale it for the people working out with me because once I did the first round I realized the workload may be too much. The participants all did thirty repetitions, with the exception of a co-worker’s son who is getting ready to enter the Army. He hung in there with me and finished with a really respectable time. The knees to elbows are an incredibly suck exercise. Your grip screams for a break while you’re struggling to maintain a tight core on the swing up. KB exercises just completely get you winded. I tried hard to get the swings in a straight set, but they got me at 32. Double unders after push ups…what the heck was I thinking? My shoulders were on FIRE as I approached 40 and when I would get into a groove of 5 or more in a row, my delts would scream with lactic acid in protest. Good times.

I decided to modify this WOD from the original "Filthy 50", because a lot of our folks at the unit have different fitness goals, namely to lose some weight and get better at the run portion of the Army Physical Fitness Test. I think that I succeeded in creating a WOD that would accomplish this goal. We added one more to the Crossfit crew today, kudos to DG for banging out her first “MGW” workout. A tough one, no less.

3-2-1…GO!

2 comments:

  1. Jjeeaa! This was an absolutely disgusting WOD and I mean that in the best way possible. I did the dirty thirty (exactly like the above described WOD except with 30 reps per set instead of 50)

    Mike's Dirty 30 Time: 30:12

    I completely anticipated total muscle failure by round 4 but I was surprised at how well I did, all the crossfit is seriously paying off! 2 weeks ago I probably would have laid on the ground in agony, but today I made it all the way home to my couch before I laid in agony! Ahhh the bitter sweet Joy of CrossFitting.

    Mad props to all the participants. See you guys at the next WOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did this wod again today, 28:46

    ReplyDelete