Thursday, March 11, 2010

3/11/10; Helen and the Muscleup...fail

“Helen”
3 rounds for time:
400m
21 KB swings (1.5 pood)
12 pull ups

Total time- 8:19 (New PR by 6 seconds)

Warm up- Run 400m; 10s of Pull ups, push ups, squats, lunges, and KB swings. It was a beautiful day outside today and perfect for doing an outdoor WOD.

WOD- It’s funny how when you’re going for a PR, you get a little bit of the butterflies just before you start. At least I do, anyway. I started strong on the run and turned out the KB swings and pull ups for the first round in unbroken. The next round, my time had reduced on the run and I banged out the KB swings unbroken again, but the pull ups were a different story at 8/4. It was at this point that my forearms were SCREAMING. My legs felt like rubber and I couldn't stop shaking out my arms. They had gone completely numb from gripping the KB and bar so tightly during the WOD. I left for the final round at about 5:30. I attempted to pick up on the last run, and when I came in I absolutely knew I wasn’t going to make the sub-8 I was hoping for. 7:19 is what my watch read. I hit the KB swings and broke it into 11/10. Pull ups were incredibly difficult and I ended up doing a 4/4/4 split because my arms just couldn’t take it anymore.

Despite being motivated by SISU and convincing myself I would never collapse to the floor after a WOD ever again….I did it anyway. I was spent, the world was spinning and I hit a new PR. Not a sub-8, but it was a new PR nonetheless.

I came back into the office, cooled down and answered/checked e-mail for about another hour before I went outside to try my first muscleup. So close. 9 times…so close! I was popping up into the rings in pits position, but couldn’t time the kick well enough to get the actual dip portion in. I’ll try again in a couple of days.

In other news- since starting the DU practice, I’ve been rocking them. They suck, but it’s good to have the skill down.

3-2-1…GO!

3 comments:

  1. GOOD WORK! 8:19 is fast as hell. what kind of rope do you use for double under? i've got the speed rope from rougue. it works well. i can usually get anywhere from 5 to 30 double unders in a row. i've been thinking of dropping the 50 bux for a buddy lee rope. jimmy p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy P- Try this link-http://estore.websitepros.com/1220297/Detail.bok?no=9

    It's sort of like the rope that I lucked upon at Marshall's (or TJ Maxx...not sure which) but half the price of the uber-magical-super-performance-speed-masterblaster rope that everyone buys. Bottom line- Once you get the handles, you can be replacement rope and swivels for like $15 plus S/H.

    I think that Buddy Lee is taking everyone for a ride with the prices. I tried amazon on the bally's hyperformance rope (buddy lee) and they're out of stock. Shocker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10:11....its a start on this experiment

    ReplyDelete